Friday, January 20, 2012

Just what England needs...another Elizabeth...

I can barely believe I’m saying it, but I’m in England right now. It’s been something of a whirlwind so far. The last couple of days I’ve been so busy I can hardly keep things straight. This blog is my attempt at doing so. Warning: I like to write a lot of details. This is why I could never keep journals when I was younger. So feel free to skim as needed.

I flew out of KC on Tuesday with two other K-Staters—Emma and Tyler—at 1:47, switched planes in Detroit, and then flew overnight to London. Emma kept saying that every time she flew internationally, one or more of the flights got delayed, but we were lucky and all the flights took off right on schedule. They gave us nice meals on the plane, dinner and breakfast, but surprisingly I didn’t feel very excited about what I was doing despite the fact that I’d been so determined to do it for so long. I think nerves and exhaustion played a big part of that, since despite my best efforts I could not sleep on that plane (there was a couple ahead of me that talked the entire time as if everyone around them wasn’t trying to sleep). As it got closer to the time we were scheduled to land, I kept looking at the moving map (there was a touch screen on the back of the seat in front of me), watching as we flew over Ireland and then over parts of England toward the little dot that was London. I still didn’t feel anything except annoyed that I couldn’t sleep. It wasn’t until we were actually a few minutes from landing and flying over London itself that I got excited and really appreciated what was happening. I remember watching cars pass below and feeling impressed that they were driving the wrong way.

After we got off the plane we had to go through customs, which was so much less intense than I thought it would be. I was still really nervous as I got asked what I was doing and when I would be leaving and how I was paying for my stay. I think I said something like, “K-State is helping me pay”...like he would know about K-State. Anyway, our luggage also arrived without a hitch, when I’d been picturing it ending up in Bangladesh or something. University of Hertfordshire said they would pick us up from Heathrow at Terminal 3, which was a long way from where we were. I was glad Emma and Tyler were there or I would’ve gotten so confused. We walked down halls, up ramps, took an elevator (aka “lift”), then had to go on a little train before getting to Terminal 3. I kept smiling when I saw signs saying “Toilet” instead of “Restroom” and pound signs instead of dollar signs. Anyway, our good luck ran out when we reached the place we were supposed to meet the school in Terminal 3, which was empty. We waited and waited while trying unsuccessfully not to stand in people’s way. Finally we noticed other college-age kids standing around nearby, so we joined them and found out they were waiting for the Hertfordshire bus as well—mostly Americans, but also a Canadian and a girl from Singapore who’d been waiting at the airport for about five hours already. Finally the U of H people showed up, apparently there was some weird delay; then it was a 45-minute bus ride to the university. Didn’t get to see much of London, but I got to see some of the countryside on the way. I love how the grass is emerald-green even in January.

When we got to the uni I really just wanted to get my room and sleep, but there were a lot of us and it was kind of a long process. Finally I got my bedding pack and key and set off with Emma and another girl I’d met to find our rooms. I actually live in a house instead of a dorm, but it’s similar to a dorm in a lot of ways. There’s an upstairs and a downstairs, two bathrooms (but only one shower, unfortunately), a pretty big kitchen area with microwave, stove, freezer, etc., and the rooms are just the same as dorm rooms that you lock up after you leave. I share my room with a girl from Oklahoma. We don’t have a ton of space but it works out fine. We have pretty big shelves, two closets, bunk beds, a sink and mirror, two mini fridges one for each, and a floor-to-ceiling window. I didn’t meet my roommate till later—at that point I just dropped off my luggage and then I went with two other girls because we had to find our way (on our own!) across campus to the Student Centre (yeah, that’s right, I’m spelling it that way) and then the Lindop Building to get orientation info. Even though I haven’t been here long I can already tell British universities expect you to be way more self-sufficient than American ones. Anyway, we found it fine (thanks more to them than me) and then it was a long process of waiting in line to sign contracts, then another long line to pay for housing. I felt tired and gross but still pretty impressed every time I heard a British accent. The housing lady called me love and then exclaimed over me being from Manhattan before I told her it was the other Manhattan.

Then we went next door for free tea and coffee and to get orientation information. We had to get our passports checked to make sure we’d been given the right stamp, then given all sorts of maps and schedules (aka timetables) about where we were supposed to go this week. Everyone was pretty polite and helpful. I found out the school is offering trips to Cambridge and London this weekend for 10 pounds apiece, so I signed up for both. We’re going to Cambridge tomorrow and I’m really excited!

Looking back, I can’t believe how much we did that day. At that point I’d been up over 24 hours but I still went with some people to the Forum (same thing as a student union) to ask about cell phones. Most people bought their pay as you go phone (you can get them here for really cheap—as little as 3 pounds), but I haven’t got mine b/c the ginger behind the counter told me I could just use a new SIM card in my old phone but he’d have to get the unlock code so my phone will accept a new SIM. Still waiting on that code. If it doesn’t work out I’ll just buy a new phone for really cheap. I do hate being without a phone b/c it makes it so hard to coordinate with people.

We may’ve done more, but I’ve honestly forgotten, I was so jetlagged by that point. I went back to my room and met my roommate, Chelsea. There are six other people in the house, all British, and I think I’ve met all but one by now. I didn’t know this but the UK doesn’t really care about keeping genders separate like Americans do, so the house has three guys. It’s actually not a big deal since we all have our own rooms, and the kitchen and bathrooms seems pretty clean. Anyway, one of my housemates named Tom and his friend Ender offered to take Chelsea and me to the grocery to show us where it was. Plus I didn’t have anything to eat but stolen plane food and a granola bar. So even though I really just wanted to shower and sleep, Chelsea and I went with them to Asda, the grocery about 15 minutes’ walk away. Tom was really chatty and exuberant, and Ender just walked along peaceably and occasionally mumbled assent in an Irish accent. Apparently he’s growing a beard “for a laugh.” I don’t know why I find that explanation funny, but anyway.

Even though my feet were killing me for the extra walking, it was nice to talk to Chelsea and some locals so I didn’t feel alone. We talked about differences between US/UK and how our accents are so different. Apparently to the British it sounds like we talk really slowly and draw out words too long. I also got laughed at for using the term “jetlagged,” which I guess they don’t have here. Go figure. They were also pretty knowledgeable about random American things. Tom asked me what Fruit Loops were like b/c they don’t have them in the UK and explained weird facts I didn’t know, such as the fact that the British need to pay for licenses to own a TV but the upside is they have far fewer commercials than Americans do. He also said British people are polite but they won’t go out of your way to help you; they’ll help if asked but usually won’t offer it. I’ll have to see if that’s true.

Anyway, got to the supermarket finally, which looked surprisingly like Wal-Mart—apparently Wal-Mart owns Asda—but it’s organized much differently and a lot of the foods and brand names are very different. Tom and Ender went to look for a converter for Chelsea while she and I got some groceries for ourselves, which took forever b/c we were so disoriented in there.

Then we went back to the house, I unpacked a little more, showered, and then we headed over to the free dinner organized for the international students. We had a choice between fish and chips and some kind of Indian meal with curry. I got the fish and it was so good; the fries were huge and really delicious. I was so tired I couldn’t finish it, and I had to leave early. I still didn’t get to bed until 10, but I passed out right away. It was such a weird day, ricocheting between excitement, frustration, happiness, fear. But I’ve talked to other exchange students and found out they felt the same way. Chelsea said she was trying to figure out how to get a plane back to the US when she first got there, and Tyler told me he was miserable the first night.

This post is already way too long, but I wanted to write it before I forgot things. Thursday and today were less eventful—going to orientation and running around campus most of the day. The Dean of Students talked to us and told us things like, “The English are a strange bunch…but the Scots are even weirder” and advised us to learn to make a British cup of tea. We got a lot of info, but there’s still a lot I don’t know. I don’t know my way around the campuses all that well (there’s two, about a mile apart, but they have shuttles going between them), and we haven’t registered for classes even though they start next week. Should be interesting!

Still haven’t taken any pictures yet, but I’m sure I’ll take a lot this weekend. Since you’re now thoroughly sick of me, I’ll say goodbye for now. Cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Your post was awesome! Keep these coming! I love hearing about all the things you're doing and the excitement. Can't wait to see many, many pictures. (And side note - you should definitely grow a beard for laughs, too. Oh, maybe not if you want to impress the British boys. Lol.) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the post, Elizabeth! I loved reading every detail. I felt like I was there with you, and I wish I was!!! Can't wait to read more and see pictures too. I'm so proud of you! Enjoy every second of this great adventure!

    Love you,
    Missy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your blog, Elizabeth!!! Looking forward to following your exciting European adventure. Love you and miss you!--Aunt K*

    ReplyDelete